Eligibility for Athletes with Intellectual & Developmental Disability
Inas/Paralympic* Eligibility Criteria for Athletes with Intellectual Disability:
In order to compete in events organized by Inas or Paralympics athletes must complete an eligibility application to provide evidence of intellectual disability based on three main criteria:
- IQ of 75 or below (Weschler/WISC/WAIS, Stanford-Binet or Raven)
- Significant limitations in Adaptive Behavior (Vineland, ABAS or Other)
- Onset before age 18
*The three Paralympic sports that required Inas eligibility for ID are Swimming (S14), Table Tennis, Track & Field (T20/F20)
Inas Eligibility Criteria for Athletes With Additional Impairment/Down Syndrome
This class is for athlete’s who have Additional Impairment/Down Syndrome. Following a trial period these guidelines may change. Athletes should provide documentation that shows the following:
- Diagnosis of Down Syndrome including type (Trisomy 21 or Mosaic)
- Atlanto-Axial Instability status as either clear or asymptomatic
- Athletes with Mosaic Down Syndrome must also provide evidence of intellectual disability
Inas Eligibility Criteria for Athletes with Autism+
This class if for athletes with Autism who do not meet the eligibility criteria for Intellectual Disability above. Following a trial period these guidelines may change. Athletes should provide the following documentation:
- A formal diagnosis of Autism, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or Asperger’s syndrome carried out by a qualified practitioner using accepted diagnostic techniques.
- Does not meet IQ or Adaptive criteria for Intellectual Disability Class above (for example IQ is over 75).
*Note that there may be National opportunities for higher functioning athletes with developmental delays/cognitive impairment who do not meet the criteria for Intellectual Disability and who do not have a diagnosis of Autism. Please contact us for more information.
Athlete Eligibility Application
Download the US Inas Athlete Application using the button below, the application contains all necessary instructions for National and International level eligibility.
- DOWNLOAD ATHLETE APPLICATION (Required)
- DOWNLOAD THE COACHES SURVEY BY SPORT (Required)
Coaches Survey for Basketball, Cycling, Equestrian, Rowing, Skiing, Taekwondo, Tennis, Table Tennis
Coaches Survey for Swimming
Coaches Survey for Track & Field
- PAY THE APPLICATION FEE $50
Athletes applying for eligibility may pay online using the PayPal button below.
Athletes Requiring Medication (All Sports)
Athletes who require a medication found on the current Prohibited Drug List will need to apply for permission to compete while taking the medication called a Therapeutic Drug Use Exemption or (TUE). Learn more about the anti-doping policy on our Drug Testing & Medication page.
Paralympic Sports-Specific Licenses & Classification
After completing the eligibility paperwork showing intellectual disability with Athletes Without Limits/INAS, athletes who wish to enter Paralympic events in Swimming, Table Tennis or Track & Field will need to complete additional Sport-Specific Paralympic licensing and classification requirements that involve testing and observation while at Paralympic-sanctioned events. Athletes will go from “N” New to “R” Review to “C” Confirmed Paralympics status as they complete these requirements. Athletes Without Limits will help athletes navigate this process and submit necessary paperwork to US Paralympics on a case-by-case basis. For general information about Paralympic Sport Classification visit the Inas resources page.