Eligibility Application for Athletes with Intellectual Impairment
Visit our US Athlete Master List for a list of Eligible Athletes.
Virtus: World Intellectual Impairment Sport (formerly called Inas) is the governing body for para-athletes with an intellectual impairment and a member of the International Paralympic Committee. Virtus Eligibility is for athletes interested in competing with AWL US Teams at Virtus Competition. Virtus Eligibility is also the first step for athletes looking to pursue Paralympic opportunities for athletes with an intellectual impairment.
As the US Member of Virtus, Athletes Without Limits (AWL) manages this process for US athletes.
NATIONAL ELIGIBILITY APPLICATION
National Level eligibility is required for:
- Athletes Without Limits-Hosted US Events
- Developmental U.S. Paralympic Swimming or Track & Field events that only require “National Classification”
- Other developmental US events that use Paralympic Classification (e.g. most Move United events)
- Michigan High School State Swim Meets
Steps to Apply for National Level eligibility:
- Download Athlete Eligibility Application and complete National Level checklist
- Once we receive your application, headshot and evidence of disability we will email you an invoice for the $50 Application Fee.
- We’ll email an eligibility determination or request further information.Eligible athletes will be added to Athlete Without Limits US Master List. Eligibility does not expire; the time it takes depends on the information provided as evidence.
INTERNATIONAL ELIGIBILITY APPLICATION
International Level eligibility is required for:
- Athletes who qualify to travel with Athletes Without Limits to Virtus World Championships, and Virtus Global Games.
- Athletes who qualify for higher-level Paralympic events for which IPC-Licensing and International Classification appointments are needed. (Read our Paralympic Eligibility page for more details.)
- Athletes to apply for the EDGA “WR4GD” Player Pass in Golf.
- Athletes to compete in Virtus II1 or Virtus II2 at World Karate Federation (WKF) events.
- Athletes to compete in “P20” class at World Taekwondo events.
Steps to Apply for International Level eligibility:
- Download the Athlete Eligibility Application
and complete the International Level checklist.
- Download the Coaches Survey by sport below:
Swimming Coach’s Survey
Track & Field Coach’s Survey
Coach’s Survey for All Other Sports
- Once we receive your Application, Headshot, Proof of Identity (Passport or State ID), Evidence of Disability, and Coach’s Survey we will email you an invoice for the $150 Application Fee.
- The application will be reviewed and endorsed by Athletes Without Limits and our U.S. National Eligibility Psychologist for endorsement, then we’ll send it on to the Virtus International Eligibility Committee for International confirmation. The time it takes depends on the information provided as evidence.
- Once confirmed athletes are assigned a Virtus Athlete Eligibility Number. Eligible athletes are added to both Athletes Without Limits US Master List and the Virtus International Master List. Eligibility does not expire but can take 1-3 months or longer depending on the information provided as evidence and whether or not any additional diagnostic testing needs to be scheduled with the athlete’s psychologist.
GUIDE FOR PSYCHOLOGISTS:
Some athletes may not already have the exact testing needed for International-level eligibility. If the athlete requires new testing we’ve created this Guide for Psychologists you can provide the athlete’s psychologist to ensure the appropriate assessments are given.
Occasionally athletes entering events that enforce anti-doping may require a medication found on the WADA Prohibited Drug List. If that is the case you may need to apply for permission to taking the medication while competing — this is called a Therapeutic Drug Use Exemption or (TUE). Learn more about the Virtus anti-doping policy on our Drug Testing & Medication page.