Free USA Swimming Clinic for Disabled Youth (under18)
Note: Athletes Without Limits has no formal involvement in this event and INAS athlete eligibility paperwork is not necessary to participate.
Saturday, April 2, 2011 2:00-5:00 pm
Wave House Athletic Club, 3115 Ocean Front Walk, San Diego, CA 92109
Inside Belmont Park at Mission Boulevard and West Mission Bay Drive, on Mission Beach. Use the south parking lot.
Who is Welcome?
Swimmers with physical, vision, hearing, and cognitive disabilities aged 18 and younger. Must be able to swim at least one competitive swimming stroke (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly) proficiently for at least 75 yards Preference given to swimmers who practice regularly with a swim team.
Download the flyer and registration form.
The Swim Clinic:
Improve your swimming speed and efficiency Receive a video analysis of your choice of two strokes Learn from a great group of coaches including:
- Shawn Kornoelje, USA Head Men’s Coach at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Athens Greece
- Alison Terry, Challenged Athletes Foundation, Past USA Swimming National Team Competitor
- Alan Voisard, Challenged Athletes Foundation, coach of numerous Paralympians
- Donald Watkinds, Wave House San Diego Swim Team, coach of numerous Paralympians
- Several USA Swimming coaches from around the United States.
- Meet Erin Popovich, world record holder and 3-time Paralympian, and Melanie Benn, 2-time Paralympian. Learn about their experiences and secrets to success.
The Coach Education Project:
We want your permission to take photographs and video recordings of you while you participate in the swim clinic. We will use these images as part of a coach education presentation (webinar) that is designed to educate coaches about how to coach swimmers with a disability. You just need to be yourself, learn from the coaches at the clinic, and have fun!
We are offering this swim clinic free of charge.
Who is Conducting this Clinic?
The clinic is a joint project by USA Swimming and the Challenged Athletes Foundation. The clinic director is Donald Watkinds, member of the USA Swimming Disability Committee, and Head Coach of the Wave House San Diego Swim Team Refer questions to Donald Watkinds at email@example.com or (619) 980-3278.